AGU in America 2006

Thursday, August 17, 2006

Sweet Sorrow

Shakespeare wrote in Romeo and Juliet: "Parting is such sweet sorrow." Indeed, it was a sweet sorrow to see the group off at the airport on Wednesday, exactly two weeks (or a lifetime?) after they arrived. On August 2, we went there knowing only their names. Now, we knew their faces, their thoughts, their love of fun (and shopping), and much more. How sad we were to see them go!

Laura and Tim met the group at the Quality Inn and rode in the vans with them to the airport, where Ji Won, Kevin, and I went separately. We stood on a long, slow line to check the luggage in, and then Ji Won generously treated everyone in the group to coffee. We drank our coffee, talked, sang, took pictures, cried, and hugged until it was time for them to go through security. We five stood and waved as each AGUer, with Tatsuya Uchida bringing up the rear, passed through the security checkpoint and into the restricted area. We continued waving until we had lost sight of the very last person. Even then, we stood around and talked about what an amazing experience these two weeks had been for all of us. "It was the best part of my summer," Tim said, and I do not think anyone disagreed.



After we went with Kevin to the United Airlines counter, we went to the parking lot. Ji Won had his car, and I took Tim and Laura back to the Quality Inn. Then I went to MEI to finish some paperwork. It felt strange to walk on campus, knowing that "my kids" were gone. I kept imagining I was seeing them!

When I awoke this morning, I checked the ANA website and found that the plane had landed safely at Narita Airport. As I write this, it's about 1 p.m. on Thursday, so that means it is 2 a.m. on Friday in Japan. I imagine they are all sound asleep in their own beds.

Now that "AGU in America" is no longer in America, it seems appropriate to end the blog and to recommence with a new way of keeping the group united and in touch. I am going to investigate GoogleGroups and YahooGroups and will let everyone know how to register for an "AGU in America 2006" group. I hope that the students will continue to post to their blogs as a way to practice writing in English (including pictures and slideshows!). I still plan to add a few pictures or slideshows and perhaps a few links to the sights we saw, so I hope people will not stop checking the blog just yet! However, I think this particular blog should come to an end with this post. I have really enjoyed doing it!

PS I will set a date for our first intercontinental chat around the middle of September. Watch your email for details!

4 Comments:

  • Hello!Nina!
    I'm in my house now. This morning,when I woke up, I had a illusion; I was still in Maryland. So, I feel my mind is still in Maryland. And now, I had some emptiness in my heart.
    But we have to send a life in Japan. Then someday, I'd like to go back to Maryland!
    Finally, I want to express my great thanks for you again at here.

    By Blogger Hiro, at Thu Aug 17, 11:17:00 PM EDT  

  • Hello!Nina!I wake up just now and felt as if I dreamed. This 2 weeks seem a dream. It was very fun and included many new experiences. I never forget this summer.
    Thank you for your love.

    By Blogger yuiko, at Fri Aug 18, 12:57:00 AM EDT  

  • Hi!
    How are you doing?It seems that I had a time lag!! Even today I was really sleepy all day!!
    I had really good time in Maryland. I can’t explain enough my thanks to you!! I owe it all to you!! I wish I would attend your classes!! I wanted to be told more English lessons besides morning blog time!! Someday I’d like to attend your classes again!!!
    By the way, when I saw your daughter I was so happy! Because I found your daughter was reading Japanese comics!! I was glad to know your daughter was interested in Japan! Someday your daughter might come to Japan!! When she does we show a lots of famous things!!
    Since I visited U.S I want to study at U.S. especially MD increasingly!! But I need rather much time to do so. Because I have to make money and study English more and more!! Of course I want to talk with you or students about many kind of things!!
    I’d really appreciate your kindness to us!! See you later!!

    By Blogger Tetsuya, at Mon Aug 21, 08:39:00 AM EDT  

  • What an experience, Nina!!

    As a teacher in my place (Rosario, Argentina) I can understand how you feel after having shared two delightful weeks with this beautiful bunch of students from Japan. This is the most enjoyable and memorable side of our profession, as we get to know great people, now with this additional, far-reaching tool as it is the Internet.

    I hope we can meet one day f2f and go on exchanging experiences like yours, which enrich our daily life.
    A hug from Argentina!

    Rita

    By Blogger Rita Zeinstejer, at Mon Aug 28, 12:36:00 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home